Have I mentioned how much I like having a 3D Printer?

One of the other things I picked up at the PAUG meet on Saturday was a ROM Switcher for my Amiga 600. This simply comes with a pair of small switches to choose between 4 different possible ROMs.

(It’s currently set to switch between Kickstart 1.3, 3.1, 3.2 and DiagROM but I want to swap out 3.2 for 2.5 as I don’t yet own Workbench 3.2)

Now as I’d removed the RF encoder, I had a perfectly good place to mount the switch.

I ran up a simple model in OpenSCAD, exported it as an STL, imported that into my slicer and thought “Wait! the time factor here will be in the printing and the height is quite low.”

Thus, I printed 5 versions of the model, all in 1% increments and decrements from my initial model. (So 98%,99%, 100%, 101% and 102% scaling)

3 of the 5

They came out great, and I’m finding a bit more care with my print cleaning gives me much more consistently good models. Best of all the best fit was the 100% model. I’m amazed!

In situ.

The fit for both the switch and the mount into the Amiga are tight friction fit. They aren’t coming out from external, which is exactly what I wanted.

Published by ilike8bits

I collect old computers and consoles

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: