With a CPC 464 wending it’s way to me, and (hopefully) in the new year, my BBC Master and Atari 800xl arriving, I find myself in the strange position of having “enough” retro computers for now. No, I don’t have a TRS/80, a CoCo or a Ti 99/4a. I can live without for now. I don’t have a Microbee. I can wait for the next batch of Microbee remakes to come through.
While I wouldn’t reject any more computers, I’m not going to go hunting for them. (I’ve contemplated selling some of my current systems, to be honest. I don’t need 4 Commodore 64s. I don’t need 5 Apple IIs.)
Instead, the time has come to start improving the ones I have.
- The Amiga needs a case. I have a case design, ready to laser cut. I just need to, y’know, actually laser cut said case.
- It also needs more RAM. It only has the base 2MB Chip RAM.
- It probably could benefit from an accelerator. This would most likely solve 2. above.
- The Macintosh needs more HDD space. 20MB (Yes, Megabytes) is not enough, especially as it has 20MB of RAM. If I can get a bigger HDD, I can have multiple versions of System, which will give me much more flexibility. Unfortunately I haven’t had much luck with drives. I’ve had several duds so far. This would meet my needs.
- I need to get the SCSI CD-Rom Working. I suspect my current issue is the version of System I have doesn’t have the CD Extensions. More investigation needed here. (I have a SCSI CD-Rom thanks to Greg, who has been so very helpful!)
I’m starting to build up some nice setup with the Apple II systems, but with 5 different systems, there’s always peripherals needed
- I’d like to get more RAM for the IIgs. 8MB modules are quote affordable and would open up a lot more options for IIgs gaming.
- Once I have that, I can justify some permanent local storage for the IIgs.
- I’d like to enhance my IIe to a //e.
- I’d also like a soundcard. I like the idea of a kitform version.
- A CP/M card would be good. Not sure I want to pay quite that much for it but still…
BBC Master System
This system should be OK.
- I’ve already ordered the Raspberry Pi CoPro board.
- And the “backwards compatibility” ROMs.
- And the “Disk on a SD“.
- And a Gotek.
Also OK. I have more peripherals than I have space.
Nothing needed here. It’s pretty self contained.
- I want to build an SDrive Max. I have the parts already accumulated.
- A cartridge emulator would be good. Not in a rush though.
Not high on my list of systems to get peripherals for.
Steady on! It’s untested! If it turns on I’ll start looking at peripherals.
- I’d probably start with a Dandanator. This can also be used as a diagnostics cartridge, which is useful.
- I’ll follow that up with a DDI5. Then I can get games and the like into the system without too much effort.
You’re kidding, right?
I’m working on a Diagnostics ROM for it. My first one didn’t work.